135. Eastern Orthodoxy
See also 80. CHRISTIANITY ; 349. RELIGION ; 392. THEOLOGY .
- 1 . any of various Middle Eastern Christian sects in the early church that lacked or rejected theological leaders.
- 2 . a Flagellant. —Achephalist , n.
- an official in the medieval Greek church who collected the money from a monastery or benefice.
- a sacrament corresponding to confirmation in the Western church in which a baptized person is anointed with chrism.
- a diocese. See also 190. GREECE and GREEKS .
- the principal service book of Eastern Orthodoxy. Also Euchology
- 1 . the study of Eastern Orthodox ritual.
- 2 . (cap.) Euchologion.
- 1 . in the early church, the head of a major diocese or province.
- 2 . a bishop inferior to a patriarch but superior to a metropolitan.
- 3 . a deputy of a patriarch, either a priest or a bishop.
- 4 . the head of an autonomous church. —exarchal , adj.
- the head of a monastery.
- the quietistic practices of a 14th-century ascetic sect of mystics drawn from the monks of Mt. Athos. Also called Palamitism . —hesychast , n. —hesychastic , adj.
- 1 . the practice of opposing the veneration of icons.
- 2 . the practice of destroying icons.
- 3 . (cap.) the principles of the religious party in the 8th-century Eastern church that opposed the use of icons. —iconoclast , n. —iconoclastic , adj.
- an iconoclast.
- the head of an ecclesiastic province.
- a bishop’s prayer on behalf of catechumens. —parathetic , adj.
- the head of any of the ancient sees or the see of another principal city or national church.
- a theological system centering on the Holy Wisdom developed by the 20th-century Russian priest Sergei Bulgakov. Also called Sophiology . —Sophianist , n.
- one who reads the synaxarion, or brief narrative of a saint’s life, in Eastern Orthodox liturgies.
"Eastern Orthodoxy." -Ologies and -Isms. . Encyclopedia.com. (November 18, 2017). http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/eastern-orthodoxy
"Eastern Orthodoxy." -Ologies and -Isms. . Retrieved November 18, 2017 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/eastern-orthodoxy
See Christianity, Orthodox, Issues in Science and Religion
"Orthodoxy, Eastern." Encyclopedia of Science and Religion. . Encyclopedia.com. (November 18, 2017). http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/orthodoxy-eastern
"Orthodoxy, Eastern." Encyclopedia of Science and Religion. . Retrieved November 18, 2017 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/orthodoxy-eastern