The first thing man learnt was survival. The Darwinian concept of “survival of the fittest” meant fighting against all odds; this is an inherent instinct in humans. The sport of wrestling emerged as a means to allow men to show their physical prowess. The more spectacular the fight, the more the people enjoyed it; thus it starting shaping as a sport.
The fascination of watching a full-contact gladiator sport has always attracted men. It is no wonder then that wrestling tickets remain one of the most in demand. The sport has been modernized and civilized but the spirit remains the same – the thrill to defeat the opponent and the excitement of watching live action.
Wrestling is an ancient sport which traces back to the dawn of civilization. The sport went through its own development process in different cultures, so it is difficult to trace a single point of origin. Illustrations and drawings of wrestlers have been found dated to be 15,000 and 20,000 years old. Early Egyptian and Babylonian reliefs and old illustrations in France show wrestling maneouvrs quite similar to the present ones; it is only that now they have modern variants with new names. Today there are more than 1000 wrestling styles. Wrestling was particularly popular in ancient Greek as shows its literature. It was treated as science and a divine art but at the same time they also used it to train their soldiers. Romans impressed with the Greek wrestling, adopted the sport but came up with a milder version, making rules to avoid the savagery and barbaric customs it had. English settlers brought the sport with them to America and wrestling began evolving differently around the world.Noteworthy Dates in Wrestling History
- Ancient Greeks added wrestling to the Olympics in 708 B.C.
- The first organized national wrestling tournament was held in the United States in New York City in 1888.
- Wrestling as a sport featured in the modern Olympic Games in 1896.
- USA Wrestling became the national governing body of amateur wrestling in 1983.
- Norway held the first world woman’s wrestling championship in 1987.
- It was in 2004 that women’s wrestling became part of the Olympic Games.
- Greco-Roman wrestling limits hold to the upper body
- Iceland’s Glima
- Britain’s Cumberland wrestling
- Switzerland’s Schwingen wrestling style
- Freestyle wrestling allows the use of legs and arms. The wrestler can also hold opponents above or below the waist.
Where wrestling evolved as a sport, it also became a multi-million dollar business industry. Seeing incredible marketing opportunities, many organizations came forward to promote the sport. Currently, the major wrestling organizations in the United States are World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), Total Nonstop Action (TNA) and Ring of Honor (ROH).WWE
Since its inception, WWE has produced some of the most high profile matches and superstars. WWE hosts various championships and events throughout the year that are watched by millions in over 150 countries. Today it is the premier wrestling company in the world. Legendary names like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Ultimate Warrior, Bret “The Hitman” Hart, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, Chris Jericho and The Rock left lasting legacies. They added to the reputation of the company by providing entertainment that was the best in the business. WWE has been organizing sold out events and every year the attendance gets bigger. Wrestling has come a long way. The massive crowd, constant cheering and insane reactions of the emotional fans are a testament to their passion. This enthusiasm for the sport is going to stay as long as man lives and so will the demand for wrestling tickets.More Than a Sport
Born within the sport are great values. Wrestling is indeed one of the most demanding sports that push an individual to his limit. Wrestling is the most basic form of combat where it is only one man against the other. When a wrestler takes on an opponent, his perseverance, skills and competitiveness takes the center stage. If he wins, he alone is the champion and enjoys all the glory. If he loses, there can’t be a blame game. How more basic can it get? Apart from the athleticism, it is a game of nerves, where your determination, alertness, patience, emotions and strength all come into play. So it is not just the body but heart and mind must also be in the game.Inspirational Quotes by Champions of the Game
Champions of the game have proven time and again that wrestling is not just about physical combat. There is more to it. Wrestling is all about having a winning attitude.
- Success isn't always about greatness, it's about consistency. Consistent, hard work gains success. Greatness will come. - Dwayne The Rock Johnson
- Success at anything will always come down to this: focus and effort. And we control both. - Dwayne The Rock Johnson
- A true champion is not judged by how much he or she is admired, but by how well they can stand in the face of adversity. - John Cena
- When you stop being nervous is when you should retire. I'm always a little nervous for everything I do cause when complacency sets in that's when I feel it's time to move on to something else. - Chris Jericho
- This is a sport (wrestling) that has turned many boys into men and many men into leaders. And it is a sport in which you can be a giant regardless of how big you are. - Carl Albert
- What kind of mettle are you made of? We obtain better knowledge of a person during one hour's play and games than by conversing with them for a whole year. - Plato
- Wrestling was referenced in the oldest book in the world – The Bible.
- Popular philosopher Plato was one of the most famous Greek wrestlers. His original name was Aristocles but he was called Plato because of his “broad shoulders”. He won many prizes owing to his skills in the sport.
- The number of female participants in the sport has grown since 1994.
- Wrestling is one of the top three medal winning sports for the United States.